Wow. So, I don’t know about you, but I found out I had a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving….
…and not just that, unlike Real Housewife of Atlanta Kim W., my hair isn’t falling out…at least, not anymore.
(When I had lyme disease, hair loss was one of my symptoms. So if you’re finding hair all over the place–but remember, we naturally shed a hundred shafts of hair a day!–one reason might be lyme disease. See your doctor.
One thing it’s not: Cancer. Your hair doesn’t fall out until AFTER treatment, Kim.)
Okay, so here’s my list of stuff I’m thankful for:
1) That the terrorists who attacked Mumbai last week have finally been subdued. I am sorrier than I can say for the victims and their families! There are no words.
2) That I do not work at this Wal-Mart.
3) That I was on tour in Thailand last month and not this month. It was only a few weeks ago that I was at one of the airports the protesters have seized! Thailand is such a wonderful country. I hope things there can come to a speedy, peaceful resolution.
4) He Who Shall Not Be Named In This Blog…even though we went through a slight domestic squabble this Thanksgiving over me putting a hot pot on the drying rack and melting its wax coating (the rack’s, not the pot’s. You know Sarah Dessen and her dish towel problem? Well, in my relationship it’s: ME: “It’s just a drying rack.” HIM: “DO YOU THINK DRYING RACKS GROW ON TREES? DON’T PUT HOT POTS ON THEM! AND USE A COASTER!”).
But even though he’s been in a bad mood for the past month (he is an IU basketball fan and season ticket holder and hasn’t been able to make it to any of the games), I am still grateful for him. The fact that I am published at all and here writing to you is almost entirely due to him: the first few years we were together, I hid from him the truth about my excessive credit card debt (This is why I relate so entirely to the character Alyson Hannigan plays on How I Met Your Mother.)
When HWSNBNITB eventually found out about the debt, he paid it off, so we wouldn’t have bad credit as a couple. He worked two jobs to do it, one writing financial brochures in an investment firm, and one teaching English as a second language, while also studying for his PhD, allowing me to work my one relatively easy job (in the dorm at NYU) so I could keep writing the stories I dreamed of publishing one day in my spare time.
Why did he do this? I can think of only one reason.
Because he is awesome.
So when he said, “Why don’t you at least TRY to get some of those books you’re always writing published?” it only seemed fair that I listen (although it took my dad dying before I actually got up the guts to send out some query letters. Life is short. If there’s something you always wanted to do, don’t wait).
It wasn’t until many years later that I was actually making enough money from my writing to support us both. But when I was, I said, “Honey, it’s my turn to take over paying all the bills. What do you want to do?”
Little did I know what he wanted to do was go to culinary school (where he would, yes, learn to make delicious meals for me, but also become the coaster and drying rack dictator), then move with me to Key West and restore an old house (and also manage the financial end of the Meg Cabot LLC).
I know. Did I mention the awesome part?
And I’m very thankful. Even though the master bathroom renovation he insisted would be finished October 16 still isn’t done.
5) Anyway, the last thing I was so grateful for this holiday weekend was…YOU! Because where would I be without you readers? I’m so grateful to you, I’m giving away some of my books for free here (and there’ll be even more opportunities to win free books coming up on this blog soon)!
Believe me, your enthusiasm is sometimes the only thing that keeps me going. Did I mention I didn’t make my NaNoWriMo goal? FAR FROM IT.
But it doesn’t matter, because
a) It’s a CHALLENGE, not a COMPETITION
b) Who says you can only write novels in November? Novels can be written ANYWHERE, ANYTIME! So I’ve got all of December (as well as the rest of 2008…and 2009…and 2010…) to keep going! And
c) I have YOU to cheer me on, with all your emails (which I swear I read, I just don’t always have time to write back) asking for more books, more books, MORE BOOKS!
Well, I’m happy to oblige. And in the meantime, look for Forever Princess, Ransom My Heart, Best Friends and Drama Queens, and Being Nikki, COMING SOON!
And thank YOU!