GENERAL PRIVACY INFORMATION
COLLECTION, USE, DISCLOSURE AND SECURITY OF PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION AT MegCabot.com
Direct Collection of PII: MegCabot.com collects personally identifiable information (“PII”), such as your full name, e-mail address, mailing address or telephone number, only in order to create or enhance our relationship with you. We collect PII from you directly when you voluntarily submit information to us in order to participate in activities at our website.
MegCabot.com also records your PC’s IP address when you complete a form or when you post a message on the message boards.
Use by MegCabot.com of PII: We use PII only for notification of contest winners; in connection with submissions of suggestions and content and requests for information; registrations for subscriptions, contests, sweepstakes and games; administration of the message boards; sign-ups for emails from Meg (which may contain marketing messages for recipients aged 13 or older); and for the purpose of allowing access to our message boards. When you give us information for a specific purpose, we will use that information solely for that purpose unless we tell you otherwise and give you an opportunity to “opt out.”
Internal Security: MegCabot.com uses reasonable administrative, technical, personnel and physical measures to safeguard PII in its possession against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure or modification.
Your Access to Your PII at MegCabot.com: (See further information below regarding children under age 13.)If you would like to know the types of information that MegCabot.com collects from visitors to its website, please contact us. If you would like to know whether MegCabot.com has collected PII about you, please send us the activities that you participated in on our website which requested PII; after reviewing the relevant databases, we will confirm whether we have collected such information about you. You may review PII about you in our records at any time provided you first give us proof of your identity via postal mail or by fax, such as a copy of a valid driver’s license with your name and address. You may request changes into the PII we have that pertains to you, and/or end any direct communications with you, or even delete your PII altogether.
COLLECTION, USE, DISCLOSURE AND SECURITY OF PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION (“PII”) AT MegCabot.com FOR CHILDREN UNDER AGE 13
Kids and Internet Safety: We at MegCabot.com understand that the Internet presents an opportunity for us to reach the public in new and exciting ways with information about our programming, fun games, exciting sweepstakes and contests, email, chat rooms, message boards, and other forms of interactivity. MegCabot.com also recognizes the privacy concerns of parents and the importance of protecting the privacy of the information we collect from children on our website. Parents of children can be confident that any personal information that may be provided to our website will be collected, used and maintained in accordance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”). MegCabot.com encourages parents to supervise their children’s activities online and to participate with their children’s online activities whenever possible. However, we understand that parents may not always be able to supervise their children’s activities on the Internet. That’s why we have developed a website that parents can feel are safe for their children and kids will find cool, informative, educational, and fun! Because there’s always room for improvement, we welcome any suggestions on how to make the website a better, safer place to hang out.
Collection of PII from Children Under 13: When a visitor to our website is under the age of 13, we do not require the disclosure of more PII than is reasonably necessary for her or him to participate in an activity as a condition of such participation. We collect from children under age 13 no more than names, and email addresses, depending on reasonable need. We do this in connection with submissions of suggestions and content and requests for information. Children under 13 are not allowed to use our message boards. With very few exceptions—described further below—we do not store PII from a child below the age of 13. (For simplicity, our further references to “parents” are intended to include “legal guardians” as well.) These procedures are discussed further below.
Our General Practice Regarding Parental Consent:
- We may collect the child’s email address in order to respond to a message. After the response, the email message and email address will be deleted and no record will be kept.
- A child under 13 years of age may create a message board account by misrepresenting their age, or may enter a contest that is intended for visitors who are 13 and older. All contest entries are deleted at the end of the contest period and are not stored. Message board accounts of users who are under the age of 13 are deleted upon discovery.
- EXCEPTIONS TO Our General Practice Regarding Parental Consent: We may collect a child’s name and email address to the extent reasonably necessary to protect the security or integrity of the website; to take precautions against liability; to respond to judicial process; or, to the extent permitted under law, to provide information to law enforcement agencies or for an investigation on a matter related to public safety. In each of these cases, the information will not be used to recontact the child or for any other purpose, and will not be disclosed on the website.
Means for Parents to Review PII of their Children and Revoke Consent
Parents may request at any time to review their child’s personal information, to delete it, to refuse to permit further collection or use of the child’s information, and/or to revoke any consent. Parents should direct their requests to Meg Cabot, P.O. Box 4904, Key West, FL 33041-4904 or Admin@MegCabot.com.
Upon request from a parent:
- We will give the parent the opportunity to review the PII provided by his or her child if the parent is able to show that he or she is the parent of that child, by sending reasonable proof via postal mail or by fax.
- We will give the parent a description of the general types or categories of personal information collected from children by us.
- We will give the parent the opportunity to refuse to permit our further use or future online collection of PII from the parent’s child and to request our deletion of the child’s personal information.
If a parent refuses to permit further collection or use of the child’s information, and/or revoke consent, then we will immediately comply and delete all information relating to that child in our database. However, we will continue to permit the child to participate in activities at the website that do not require personal information, and we will only terminate a service provided to the child if the information in question is reasonably necessary for the child’s participation.